Why Your Infographics Are Critical to Social Media Success
by Andrew Millar
There are sayings that lose their relevance over time. “Here’s a quarter. Call someone who cares,” no longer works when payphone calls now cost fifty cents. However there are others like, “A picture’s worth a thousand words,” which have and will stand the test of time.
Nothing communicates your message more clearly than right image paired with clear and decisive language. This is what makes infographics so critical to your social media success. The best infographics turn this one-two duo into a knockout combination that engages the viewer while delivering a lasting message.
Unfortunately, creating a great infographic and sharing it on your different social media platforms is not a simple as slapping together a few snap shots and posting a few links. Heck, if it were, everyone in business would be rocking them. The truth is it takes the time to design the right infographic and share it correctly.
Creating a Good Infographic for Your Social Media Success
Like a website, your viewer will typically read your infographic from top to bottom. The most valuable place on your infographic is the top left corner, as that is where our eyes naturally look first. Use this to your advantage, as it can help you insert visuals which will naturally guide your reader through your infographic. These are the four most basic steps each good infographic designer follows:
- Determine Your Message – What do you want to communicate to your prospects and clients?
- Gather Your Content – What facts do you need to share to deliver this message? If you need to use any data from third-party sources, make sure you have the appropriate citations.
- Select Your Template – Use a layout which allows you to share all the facts while moving your viewer through your infographic in a timely manner. You do not want any one space to be extremely text heavy.
- Customize It – As you plug in your content, you’ll need to customize your infographic with fonts, colors and images. Make sure they are eye-catching and relevant to your topic.
Sharing Your Infographic to Maximize Your Social Media Success
No two social media platforms are exactly alike. Each one has its own nuances and best practices. To maximize your social media success while using infographics, it is important to understand how to share these images for the best results.
More often than not, your infographic will live on a page of your website or within a blog post. Some individuals simply copy and past the infographic’s link. Do not be one of these individuals. They are missing out. To take full advantage of each social media platform, use these best practices:
- Be sure to @mention any individual or company who was involved in creating it. (@mentions are a system for creating a hyperlink to other Facebook profiles or pages within a status.)
- Rather than share the entire infographic which does not format well on Facebook, share a screen shot of the most interesting part of your infographic.
- Let people know it is an inforgraphic by signaling it with the hashtag #infographic.
- Use a shortened URL as it will take fewer characters.
- Give a clear description of the infographic. What information can a viewer expect to gain by looking at it?
- Tag it with relevant hashtags like you would on Twitter.
Good infographics can play a vital role in your social media success, but only when you use them appropriately. Remember, a picture is worth a thousand words. Make sure you are communicating the right message with your clients and prospects.